Rotation Violations

I hope this is correct sub for this question.

So today I've been officiating my city league. One pretty respectful referee also happened to be there as a spectator. He's the national category (or international, sorry I don't remember), he works now as a technical delegate to the national league. He came to me after the game to discuss some moments, and one thing he told me is following:

When judging rotation fouls during serves as R2 (mostly) one should not call un-intentional fouls that happen "in dynamics", aka someone was too fast or too slow etc. Rather, only international fouls should be whistled, aka if someone specially stand in wrong position.

I've heard this for the first time. Over the time I've learnt that there are official written volleyball rules for all, and unwritten refereeng mechanics that are, nevertheless, official, too.

So, does anyone know anything about this?

You are correct that there are both "written" and "unwritten" rules. And, you don't want to be "the only one" calling (or not calling) something in your area / at that level.

So, as I generally interpret the "unwritten" rules -- here, and at the levels I do-- I don't usually call it if someone moves as the ball is tossed for serve as long as it's close (maybe, for example, a part of the body is still "overlapped" and they aren't completely on the wrong side of the other player). Instead, especially the first time, I will advise the player not to move early. If they do it again,or are completely beyond the player, I generally call it.

OF course, the actions you should take might vary.

I've called those several times. The most common reaction I get is "See, PlayerName, I told you that you were going to get caught moving too soon!"

Thank you all for replies!

(02-25-2020, 01:53 PM)kylehutson Wrote:  I've called those several times. The most common reaction I get is "See, PlayerName, I told you that you were going to get caught moving too soon!"

My experience is similar ... the vast majority of the time the coach knows who it is without even looking.

I won’t call it at lower levels unless it is pretty obvious.  Even then I usually do some preventive officiating first.