Playoff Assignment

Was just asked to be a line judge for the first round of playoffs on Thursday. More than I expected for my first year.

Congratulations!

The first game I ever did was as a line judge in a Regional. Yeah, that’s pretty messed up. I will say it is a good way to start though. It gives you a chance to get on the court and observe with limited responsibility.

In Illinois the schools hire the line judges for Regionals. IHSA assigns for Sectionals and above.

This year they are begging for Regional line judges. Championship game falls on Halloween so they are having a hard time.

If they'll pay my mileage, I'll come. Any assignments near Bloomington/Normal? My dad lives there, so I'll even save them money on hotel costs.

LOL ... they pay $20/game.

But now that I know that ... do you work USA Softball?

I worked softball for one year, and 3 games. Decided it was a mistake.

You didn’t even give it a chance!

Curious how you got into volleyball then? I don’t think I know any baseball-only umpires who do volleyball. In fact, I know very few baseball umpires who do volleyball, even if they do softball. The guys (and gals) around here who work volleyball mostly do just volleyball, or volleyball and softball ... and maybe basketball.

(10-26-2019, 12:51 AM)The Man in Blue Wrote:  You didn’t even give it a chance!

Curious how you got into volleyball then?  I don’t think I know any baseball-only umpires who do volleyball.  In fact, I know very few baseball umpires who do volleyball, even if they do softball.  The guys (and gals) around here who work volleyball mostly do just volleyball, or volleyball and softball  ... and maybe basketball.

You know at least two baseball guys who officiate volleyball.   Cool

(10-26-2019, 12:51 AM)The Man in Blue Wrote:  You didn’t even give it a chance!

Curious how you got into volleyball then?  I don’t think I know any baseball-only umpires who do volleyball.  In fact, I know very few baseball umpires who do volleyball, even if they do softball.  The guys (and gals) around here who work volleyball mostly do just volleyball, or volleyball and softball  ... and maybe basketball.

I can't easily explain what turned me off of softball. It just didn't jive with me.

As for volleyball, I was looking for a sport that was (1) indoors, and (2) didn't require a lot of movement. I've had back issues since I started umpiring, which was diagnosed as degenerative disc disease. Rather than fight that every year, I decided to stop umpiring; I didn't want to stop officiating, so volleyball became the obvious choice.

*Ahem* - three

(10-29-2019, 02:01 PM)kylehutson Wrote:  *Ahem* - three

My aoplogies!

I tend to lose count when I don't have one of those clickerator things in my hand. ?

Oh yeah, one of those indiclickers!