Crowd Actions

Was asked to travel to a different region to work a JV/Varsity DH due to a shortage of referees there. About an hour drive from home, 5A divisional match-up. I was solo for the JV match, which away team won 2-0 with no issues. R2 for the Varsity match, when the following occurred.

No issues in the first set, which away team won. During the second set, a group of students near the away team's end line began making noise during away team's serving - with a student or two yelling at the moment of contact. I let it go the first time, thinking it would fix itself. After the second time, I walked over to home team's coach and asked her to have someone go and ask the students to stop the yelling at the serve (I was fine with the general noise-making - it was louder than the general noise in the gym, but not distracting. She looked at me like I'd asked her to do it herself.

After the fourth time it happened and no one had taken care of the situation, I stopped the match and asked her for the site admin. She called over the Principal and explained to him what I'd asked. We continued the game as he walked over and asked the students to stop. No further issues and the students left the gym after the second set.

My reasoning at the time was based purely on sportsmanship. What they were doing was very obvious, so it surprised me when the coach didn't have someone deal with it the first time I asked. I couldn't remember in the moment if there was a specific rule that prevented it, so I looked it up when I got home: 12-3-1, and the case book specifically mentions it (12.3.B.b).

Wondering if any of you would have dealt with it the same.

Sounds pretty good to me. Just personal preference, but I don’t think I would have asked the coach directly to have somebody go talk to the students. If I couldn’t identify/find the administrator promptly, I might have asked the coach where the administrator was and then gone straight to the administrator myself.

The only other thing I might add would be to talk to your partner first, just so you are on the same page. Especially since it was your first game together.

It can be helpful to know who the AD or principal is, but if I don't I ask the home head coach who it is and then either send someone (an idle kid from the table crew for instance) or go get them myself, depending on the severity of the offense.
We had a tight gym last week where the bleachers were very close to the benches, and knew that the home students tend to harass the visiting team, so before the match we spoke with the AD who spoke with security and just had them stand near that section. They didn't even have to say anything and there were no problems this time.
Had another where the home coach reported that the visiting parents were tipping off serving zones to the visiting players. We stopped the match for that, got the AD, and had him go "stand menacingly" next to that section. I don't know if he had to speak to them or not, but the problem stopped.
I agree with the "talk to your partner" part, keep everyone on the same page.

Site managers are on the premises to assist the on court officials for off court situations. Use them to address anyone not affiliated with one of the teams if needed.

I have had similar scenarios where I have directly addressed the bleacher creatures where I told them to knock it off in various ways. Usually it works, but sometimes it does not. That's where I would ask the site manager for some assistance. 

In fact, yesterday the home fans  - read students - were clearly trying to disrupt the server of the visiting team. The second time they did it, I immediately blew the play dead and called for a replay. I turned around on the stand and told them, "Not while they're serving." I did not need to tell them a second time.

YMMV

Getting the site manager first would have, in hindsight, been a better first move. As R2, I couldn't exactly yell across the gym to the culprits.

I handled it the same way I'd handle a baseball fan incident. My hope was that the coach would understand that I just needed someone to go tell them to knock it off, and by asking her, it allows someone to walk over and do it without it becoming a spectacle. Never had an issue doing it that way in baseball, so expected the same in volleyball - apparently not. Smile

I couldn’t explain why, but I feel there is a difference in baseball/softball and volleyball.

In volleyball the coach is pretty limited in where he/she can be. Asking them to leave that space (IMO) seems unprofessional. In BB/SB, the coaches wander a lot more freely so I don’t feel that I am putting them out as much.

Or maybe it’s just that we are more accustomed to travel BB/SB where there isn’t a site administrator tied to a team, so we do rely more on the coach.

Interesting ... trying to work this out in my head ...

(10-14-2019, 10:26 PM)The Man in Blue Wrote:  I couldn’t explain why, but I feel there is a difference in baseball/softball and volleyball.

In volleyball the coach is pretty limited in where he/she can be.  Asking them to leave that space (IMO) seems unprofessional.  In BB/SB, the coaches wander a lot more freely so I don’t feel that I am putting them out as much.

Or maybe it’s just that we are more accustomed to travel BB/SB where there isn’t a site administrator tied to a team, so we do rely more on the coach.

Interesting ... trying to work this out in my head ...
I wouldn't expect the coach to leave the bench area, but I would expect the coach to know who to summon if we aren't already aware of who the site administrator is.

(10-15-2019, 03:08 AM)dbwill Wrote:  I wouldn't expect the coach to leave the bench area, but I would expect the coach to know who to summon if we aren't already aware of who the site administrator is.

That was my thought, and my wording: "Coach, could you get someone to go over there and ask the students to stop yelling as she's serving?"

(10-15-2019, 11:41 AM)yawetag Wrote:  
(10-15-2019, 03:08 AM)dbwill Wrote:  I wouldn't expect the coach to leave the bench area, but I would expect the coach to know who to summon if we aren't already aware of who the site administrator is.

That was my thought, and my wording: "Coach, could you get someone to go over there and ask the students to stop yelling as she's serving?"

I don't have my books handy, but is there some reason the students can't yell as she's serving? (I am assuming the specific yells are not personal or otherwise unsporting -- it's only the timing that makes this an issue)

12-3: When a spectator becomes unruly or interferes with the orderly progress of the set, the first referee shall suspend the set until the host management resolves the situation and the set can proceed in an orderly manner. NOTE: In the absence of a designated school representative, the home head coach shall serve as the host management.

12.3.B: During the course of the set, (a) a loud horn is blown every time Team B is preparing to serve; (b) a fan is yelling "miss it" as the player serves; (c) the crowd is noisily cheering for its team. RULING: (a) and (b) illegal; (c) legal. COMMENT: The R1 shall suspend play until host management resolves the situation. Artificial noisemakers are prohibited. (1-8)

It was definitely the timing of the yelling. The group in question would have a mid-level amount of noise (nothing more than the general noise of the gym), then right as she would contact, one or two of them would yell loudly. It was obvious what was going on, especially since they sat over there in the first set not making any noise during the serve (even the mid-level).

Coincidentally, this came from the NCAA today:

SITUATION 2: As the Team R server tosses the ball for service, someone in the stand yells her name loudly and yells “timeout”. The server looks at the stands as the ball drops. The first referee signals replay.
RULING: The referee’s decision is incorrect. Even though the yelling came from the stands, the player should play until they hear a whistle. The referee should indicate illegal service and award the rally to Team S. The second referee should make event management aware of the situation.