Finding a wheel

For the past several years, I've been using a "wheel" (this one in particular), but they seem to be out-of-stock and have been for at least a few weeks.

You can get this style from Amazon, Ump-Attire, and some other places, but I've heard nothing good about using dry-erase. Does anybody else have something different? My last wheel is faded nearly beyond use.

(08-21-2019, 06:24 PM)kylehutson Wrote:  For the past several years, I've been using a "wheel" (this one in particular), but they seem to be out-of-stock and have been for at least a few weeks.

You can get this style from Amazon, Ump-Attire, and some other places, but I've heard nothing good about using dry-erase. Does anybody else have something different? My last wheel is faded nearly beyond use.

I probably have some version of one I could send you for only the cost of postage.  Let me look.

I never found them helpful.

(08-21-2019, 06:24 PM)kylehutson Wrote:  For the past several years, I've been using a "wheel" (this one in particular), but they seem to be out-of-stock and have been for at least a few weeks.

I just use an index card folded in half with each team's lineup listed 1-6. Each time a sub comes in I cross out and enter the new number. When the position serves I note that as well.

Each side of the card has one team so when serve changes all I need to do is flip the card in my hand to check alignment.

I will post a copy when I can remember or locate a copy.

Kylehutson, I use that same wheel. Looks like it was marked down too, so that’s not a good sign. I know I am needing to replace mine (probably by the end of the year).

I know some people don’t like the wheels saying they turn on them, but I use a mini-paper clip to mark my server. That way if it turns I still know where I’m at.

I’ve tried a couple of notecard systems and I really like the concept, but for some reason I struggle with it.

We had an area meeting last night. One of the people there found a phone number for GetOfficial and called. Apparently some organization (they wouldn't say who) really liked them, so bought *all* of them. Said it would be probably 4 months before they had any more.

I have a freshman tourney this weekend, so I'm going to try using a "card" system. I always seem to forget something with just a blank note card, so I pre-printed several sheets of paper with all the info on the "wheel", made to be the right size to fit around a hotel room keycard (same size as a credit card, but smooth), so I'll have more of a solid surface to write on. I'll post it here if it works well.

Here's what I use.  Print it out double sided on light card stock -- it's plenty thick enough to write on.  Then, cut into thirds.  Each third works for 2 matches (we always play 2/3 here).

Has spaces for TOs etc, and enough room at the top to write in coach's names (I always forget those).

I also have it in excel format, if someone want to modify it and not start from scratch.

Attached Files
.pdf line up card.pdf Size: 23.91 KB  Downloads: 4

Out of curiosity, I looked at some official's gear sites and Ump Attire and Gerry Davis both have a substantially similar product.

(08-28-2019, 09:50 AM)Kevin_K Wrote:  Out of curiosity, I looked at some official's gear sites and Ump Attire and Gerry Davis both have a substantially similar product.

Not substantially the same. The same. Tandem brand. From my talking with other officials, those seem to work well for coaches, not so much for officials.

Finally got around to talking a picture of this.  It's from Honig's (but I don't think they have them anymore).

Seems flimsy -- the two sides are held together by a piece of what appears to be cloth tape.

I'll send it to the first who responds for the cost of postage.  Pay via paypal (if I can remember how to get mine to work).

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I really need to get around to writing that app that does this. I've started on it, but haven't gotten very far.

Yes, I know NFHS doesn't allow those yet, but I think that is going to change.

(08-27-2019, 02:03 PM)kylehutson Wrote:  We had an area meeting last night. One of the people there found a phone number for GetOfficial and called. Apparently some organization (they wouldn't say who) really liked them, so bought *all* of them. Said it would be probably 4 months before they had any more.

I have a freshman tourney this weekend, so I'm going to try using a "card" system. I always seem to forget something with just a blank note card, so I pre-printed several sheets of paper with all the info on the "wheel", made to be the right size to fit around a hotel room keycard (same size as a credit card, but smooth), so I'll have more of a solid surface to write on. I'll post it here if it works well.

I looked on the back of my cards last night and they came from ... Get Official.

These are coming up as in stock ... and even dropping to $2.50 in my cart.  I haven’t finished the order, so I’m not sure if it’s a glitch.

https://www.getofficial.com/wet-erase-vo...neup-disk/

*Ouch ... $10 shipping* Still a decent deal if you buy a few of them I guess!

(08-28-2019, 02:45 PM)noumpere Wrote:  Finally got around to talking a picture of this.  It's from Honig's (but I don't think they have them anymore).

Seems flimsy -- the two sides are held together by a piece of what appears to be cloth tape.

I'll send it to the first who responds for the cost of postage.  Pay via paypal (if I can remember how to get mine to work).

If it’s held together with tape, it’s because you taped it!  Smile

Personally, I actually took mine apart and keep each side in the respective pocket.  Prevents me from getting the wrong one.

(08-29-2019, 04:35 AM)The Man in Blue Wrote:  These are coming up as in stock ... and even dropping to $2.50 in my cart.  I haven’t finished the order, so I’m not sure if it’s a glitch.

https://www.getofficial.com/wet-erase-vo...neup-disk/

Interesting. The "wet erase" and "pencil" versions look identical. I'm tempted to get a couple just to see about the difference in materials.

Kyle, did you give those a try? I am definitely needing a new set and am going to have to pull the trigger. If you (or anyone else) are interested, I can order some extras and send them your way. That $10 shipping is ridiculous and kills the deal unless you order more. I’m pretty sure I can mail something that small much cheaper than that.

(10-25-2019, 02:09 PM)The Man in Blue Wrote:  Kyle, did you give those a try?  I am definitely needing a new set and am going to have to pull the trigger.  If you (or anyone else) are interested, I can order some extras and send them your way.  That $10 shipping is ridiculous and kills the deal unless you order more.  I’m pretty sure I can mail something that small much cheaper than that.
I didn't.

At the start of the season I printed some plain-paper lineup cards and wrapped them around a hotel key I absconded from my last stay (for stability). I really liked it and probably won't go back to the wheel now.

I'm *really* glad I started with a wheel - I don't think I would have done well if I had to stick with paper for my first few seasons. But now that I've gotten the feel of it, I probably won't go back. What I printed is attached (I made them myself). I cut them out with a monstrous "paper whacker" (like this but bigger) from my church.